So I got this wild idea to make my own strawberry shortcake. And I’m glad I did! These are amazing. The strawberries are fresh and make their own glaze so you don’t have to buy that crap at the store. The shortcakes are fluffy yet semi-dense in the center and crispy on the outside (kind of like a scone but better). The whipped cream is out of this world — be sure to pay attention to the secret ingredient — it just wouldn’t be the same without it.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 3.5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 0.5 cup butter, softened (nuke for 10 seconds then stir)
- 2 tsp granulated sugar (this is not a typo)
- 0.75 cup whole milk
- 1 quart fresh, ripe Oregon strawberries, diced
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 0.25 cup powdered sugar
- 0.5 cup granulated sugar
- 0.25 tsp vanilla extract
- 0.25 cup sour cream
- Remove pans (LOL) and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, 3.5 tbsp sugar, and butter. With a silicone spatula, stir to mix all ingredients until it resembles a coarse cornmeal. I spin the bowl with my left hand, then swipe the spatula from top to bottom, squishing the butter pieces into the dry ingredients, scraping the bottom with each full rotation. I probably do this 10 to 15 times before it gets to the cornmeal stage. You could also use a food processor for this, but why not do it the hard way?
- Add milk to the bowl and continue stirring with the spatula until it becomes doughy but with stiff, sharp peaks.
- Grease a baking sheet. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions then place them on the baking sheet in the form of small mounds. Sprinkle evenly with the 2 tsp of granulated sugar.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. It’s okay if the tips of some peaks get a little darker (see photo above). Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack, chillin’ like villains.
- Place diced strawberries in a medium bowl. Mash about half of them with a fork.
- Add granulated sugar and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- In a medium bowl, mix together heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Add sour cream. Beat until firm peaks form. Refrigerate.
Strawberry Shortcake Assembly:
- Cut the tops off the shortcakes and set aside.
- Spread a layer of whipped cream on top of the bottom half of the shortcakes.
- Give the strawberry mixture a quick stir, then spoon desired portion on top of whipped cream.
- Place the top of the shortcakes on top of the strawberries.
- Add another dollop of whipped cream on top.
- Eat. Float among the clouds.