There’s nothing like a homemade hot roast beef sandwich smothered with gravy. My Mom and my wife both hold these creations in high regard, as evidenced by the disappointment they express when they don’t appear on the menus of our local restaurants. Interestingly, you can find hot turkey sandwiches all day long. Anyway, I took it upon myself this Mother’s Day to create the greatest hot roast beef sandwiches known to man, and I’m quite proud of myself. To really put the bling in these things, start by marinating tri tip in my tequila marinade, making some hoagie rolls, sauteing some mushrooms, and, finally, following this recipe.
- 0.5 cup butter
- 0.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef broth or roast drippings
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp Gravy Master
- Once you have completed all the prerequisites, make this gravy:
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Add salt and pepper and continue cooking for 5 minutes — don’t stop whisking during this step!
- Slowly whisk in broth. Add Gravy Master and continue whisking until gravy comes to boil. Reduce heat and continue to simmer until thickened to desired consistency.
- Split the hoagie rolls and plate. I like to toast them ahead of time.
- Slice the beef roast and place on top of hoagie roll halves.
- Scoop sauteed mushrooms on top of beef slices.
- Smother with gravy.
- Add a few more mushrooms.
- Consume your heavenly feast.