I’ve spent many years of trial and error, trying to find the perfect taco meat recipe. I think I’ve finally achieved it! It’s very simple, which is often the primary component of an excellent recipe. The two primary keys are to break down the meat into tiny pieces and reducing in seasoned water.
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 0.25 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat, breaking up the meat until achieving a Taco Bell level of refinement. About 2 minutes before cooking is complete, add garlic; drain.
- Add water and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until the water has absorbed and/or evaporated.