This awesome chicken tortilla casserole can be made per the recipe below and is totally delicious just as it is. But it’s also a great springboard for other great culinary inventions.
First of all, it’s wide open to any protein you’d like to substitute for the shredded chicken. Coincidentally, I purchase the pulled chicken at Costco from the deli area — they take the leftover rotisserie chickens, pull the meat, and sell it in packages weighing 2 pounds each. It’s versatile and yummy.
Secondly, you can replace the corn tortilla strips with flour tortillas, Juanita’s tortilla chips, Doritos, or whatever floats your boat. Heck, I’m thinking about crushing some tortilla chips and sprinkling them on top just before putting it in the oven.
And third, since there’s still some room left in the casserole dish, you could load this up with a can of black beans, fresh corn, or other ingredients to suit your style.
So… let’s get cookin’!
- 1.5 pounds pulled chicken
- 0.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 0.5 tsp cumin
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (I use low-sodium, non-fat)
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chiles
- 1 can (small) sliced olives
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package (8 oz) corn tortillas, cut into 1″ strips
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- smoked paprika, to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13″ by 9″ casserole dish with butter or cooking oil spray. Line the bottom of the dish with half of the tortilla strips. Set aside about a third of the chopped onions and half of the olives.
- In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except for the tortilla strips and cheeses. Pour half of the mixture into the casserole dish. Then sprinkle half of the shredded cheese on top. Place another layer of tortilla strips, meat mixture, and cheese. Sprinkle the remaining onions and olives (and optionally the paprika) evenly across the top.
- Bake in oven for about 40 minutes, or until the onions start to brown.
- Serve with Juanita’s tortilla chips, pico de gallo, guacamole and sour cream. Enjoy!